barefootbungalow

Introduce yourself before starting to post in other categories. Tell us what brought you here, what you hope to learn, what your interests are, what your goals are, and who you are in life.

Moderators: Blue Stormz, jflattery, Blue, orson, Jared

barefootbungalow
Flag: United States of America

barefootbungalow

Postby barefootbungalow » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:27 am

Hello Everyone,

I am an American living and working overseas. I have been using VPN for the past several years (mainly to watch TV). The recent crackdown on use of VPN by most streaming sites has forced me to take a deeper look as to how this all works and find a better solution. After a little research I came upon IAPS and learned about residential ip vpn service. Now it all makes sense. Anyway, I am not the most computer savvy individual but I have some basic knowledge.

Being that I am just a single end-user, I am on the 50 usd per month plan. I am wondering though what all could be done with one of those 500 usd per month residential ip addresses - could someone start their own commercial VPN service and resell accounts to other users ?

Blue
Administrator
Administrator

Re: barefootbungalow

Postby Blue » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Welcome.
Like yourself I am not too comp. savvy but all of this is more along the lines of networking than comp tech but comp tech does play a large part in creating networks, maintaining them, and recieving them. For the end user though, it is a relatively simple process, as are all things tech and for that I am glad :)

Feel free to ask questions, someone will answer and perhaps we all will get a better understanding of this new world.

I am not sure about your question about the use of a 500 usd per month residential IP address, or was that a typing error and you meant 50 usd? I am aware of higher cost services but not which one you may be referring to although businesses do use services such as the remote desktop service which provides an office computer accessable to the company's employees from anywhere in a secure manner and since many parts of the world have limited internet service, the use of rdp bypasses that as the remote is on a high GB network. You can log in at dial up speeds, but the remote computer will function at GB speeds for large file transfers to/from the home office for example.

I think you probably use(d) a vpn to get programming you wanted while overseas, and that is a very large part of the vpn business as there are a great many people in the world who travel, work remotely, live abroad, etc. but another aspect of vpn's that users appreciate is that with all the tracking by websites for various reasons such as database building, which builds user profiles that are used for all sorts of purposes from advertising to unwarranted govt. spying, many web surfers are happy to remain virtually annonymous and not be bothered by targeted ads, stalkers, and the like.

Arguments can be made pro and con about vpn users and their motives but IAPS is very dilligent in keeping the so called riff raff off of it's networls to provide you with a secure network to use.

Glad to have you aboard.

barefootbungalow

Postby barefootbungalow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for the welcome.

With regard to the 50 usd and 500 usd per month, I see that the price of a residential vpn is only 50 usd per month but a residential proxy is 500 per month. I was just wondering what all could be done with a residential proxy for that price of 500.

Anyway, I am wondering if a residential tunnel might be better for me since it would give me my own IP address. I am wary of sharing an IP with others and not knowing what they might be doing online. I have already subscribed to the residential vpn but had some trouble installing and started thinking more about what would ultimately be safer, a tunnel or a vpn.

orson
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Flag: Germany

Postby orson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:36 pm

I am no expert, but AFIK a VPN is the most secure because all your internet traffic travels thro' the VPNs secure, encrypted "tunnel". With a proxy, only "browser-in-use-with-the-proxy-enabled" data uses the residential IP address. So, with a VPN, your email, skype, whatever-application and anything you do with your browser(s) go thro' the VPN. With a proxy, only the browser's traffic goes thro' the proxy and only after you have set that specific browser to use the proxy.

Welcome to the forum, BTW :)

Blue
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Blue » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Well said Orson. I would only add that with a proxy, not just your browser but any prog connection that has the option to connect via a proxy server can be used with a proxy. But you are correct that with a VPN -all of your machines internet traffic is sent encrypted to the VPN server. A proxy not so much as it uses the normal connection protocols but does make which ever prog connected with it on a network of it's own.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the multiple users per IP address thing because IAPS is vigilant in keeping their networks secure and there is almost zero chance of someone tracing someone else's activity to you. Very technical stuff that Jared is much better at explaining.

Blue
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Blue » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 pm

barefootbungalow wrote:With regard to the 50 usd and 500 usd per month, I see that the price of a residential vpn is only 50 usd per month but a residential proxy is 500 per month. I was just wondering what all could be done with a residential proxy for that price of 500.

For that I would direct you to the FAQ thread at;
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=560#p560
and/or your question to Jared.

barefootbungalow

Postby barefootbungalow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Very interesting stuff, indeed.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”