Why Is 56k The Fastest DialUp Modem Speed

This is the place where we talk about anything not related to other sections of the forum. This is not a place for advertisements.

Moderators: Blue Stormz, jflattery, Blue, orson, Jared, Ronald

Blue
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2026 1:48 am
Flag: United States of America

Why Is 56k The Fastest DialUp Modem Speed

Postby Blue » Wed Aug 02, 2026 11:19 pm

An explanation to the question can be found at;

Code: Select all

http://www.10stripe.com/articles/why-is-56k-the-fastest-dialup-modem-speed.php


If you don't get it..... :roll:



orson
Global Moderator
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2025 9:13 am
Flag: Germany

Re: Why Is 56k The Fastest DialUp Modem Speed

Postby orson » Mon Aug 14, 2026 2:44 pm

Blue - I'm so old that I knew about the 7bit data byte used in Modems .... :lol: This stems from my early days as a Trainee Computer Operator (read: "tea boy", "general dogsbody", "ground-feeder") when I soon realised that those who knew what to do and when to do it went places and those who didn't stayed at the bottom of the steaming pile. I immersed myself in tech documentation, of which there was no shortage of never-thumbed mountains, to improve my chances of staggering slooowwly up the ladder. Great article!

Blue
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2026 1:48 am
Flag: United States of America

Re: Why Is 56k The Fastest DialUp Modem Speed

Postby Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2026 8:36 pm

Thanks Orson :)
I don't think that the mountain of techneese to go through has gotten any smaller but only bigger as time went by :roll: But underneath it all is dial-up and should be common knowledge to anyone young or old
I just thought it was an interesting article to explain the answer to the question "What is the fastest dial-up modem speed?" which I put as the security question for newcomers registering for the board.

I can hear 'em now...
Uh dude, what's dial-up :oops:


Return to “The Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 0 guests